Friday, April 4, 2008

Crazy PCA {Nursing Shift}

Just for something different I will give a short run down on some of Resies different behaviours during a nursing shift.

Start work at 3.30pm, get the handover from the rn, nothing new has changed. Get the eyedrops out of the fridge, the resies whinge{I don't know why} if the eyedrops are too cold. Go for a walk around Nicklin and try and find the resies, administer eyedrops, ignoreing the little squeals as the freezing cold drops hit their eyes.
Next it is insulin time, George starts yelling as he walks in the room, I think he does it just to put me off. May is next, she just has to tell you that she has put on clean undies before she came in for her insulin. Something I needed to know. A long comes Bill {new resi} and his wife, they are both lovely, he doesn't say a word at all, they go and in comes Colin {a Bretheren} He has some weird views on being a christian, his wife is lovely though. Listen to his sermon, he doesn't like me to have a point of view or even to question his, I think he was related to my mother-in-law in an earlier life.
That all done, the other pca arrives, now we start rounding the animals{ I mean resies} up for tea. Walk past Ray, "Hello Jocie" says Ray. Go and get Hazel and on the way to the dining room we overtake Ray, "Hello Jocie' says Ray. You answer her each time, this is only the start for Ray.
Go and get Ellen, who politely tells you that she is being treated like a bloody criminal, I made the mistake of asking her in what way, so she told me look at the mess outside her room, so when I looked, couldn't see anything that had changed, I told her. So then I was called a useless bitch!!! My oh My, shes is a lovely mood. { I LOVE MY JOB, I LOVE MY JOB} Eventually get her to go to the dining room for tea, walkd past Rays table and you guessed it, "Hello Jocie" says Ray. Round up all the other resies and now start handing out tablets.
Go to pyscho chicken, who is only interested in you if your her shower girl, and get asked are you showering me in the morning, when you say no, she couldn't be bothered talking to you. Table 3 is full of lovely ladies so that table is quick to take their tablets. Next table, the first person we go to is Hazel and who sits next to Hazel, is Ray. 'Thank you Jocie for giving me my tablets." Thats ok Ray. "thank you Jocie for giving me my glass of water" Thats ok Ray. "Thank you Jocie for helping me" That is totally ok Ray.
Get the picture yet, I think Ray says thank you about 100 times a day to me - no other conversation, just THANK YOU.
Finish handing out the drugs, put trolleys away, now it is time to start taking the resies to their rooms. First one to take back is Hazel. "goodnight jocie" says ray. Nite ray. Next is Bill, who's lovely little girlfriend won't get out of your way and if you ask her to move she will tell you. :"make me' {if only I could}. Eventually get Bill to his room, locking his girlfriend out in the process, get Bill on the Toilet, get Bills bed ready, pjs out. Go and get Bill off the toilet, walk him back to his bed only to be told and Bill needs to pee. 'What do you think you were just sitting on Bill" I asked him. "Oh I didnt think I needed to go" he told me. Get Bill into bed eventually, go and round up his little girlfriend. next is Mary and by the smell of her room, her bowels are opened, she hasn't poo for about 4 days, obviously everything is working now. The other pca and I just looked at each other. Mary had poo on her recliner chair, on her floor, bed,bathroom doorway, all over the toilet and her slippers. { this is when you need oxygen masks} We put Mary in the shower, gave her toilet a shower as well, change her bed. Dressed Mary and put her into bed and then Mary looks at us and asked "who made the mess in my room, It could not have been me, I have never done anything like that." No Mary, it wasn't you, it was those naughty little poo pixies that come in from time to time. To which Mary replied, please shut my door and windows to keep them out tonight. Yes Mary Goodnight.
That was our major episode of putting ressies to bed. Next it was time to do the 8o'clock pill run. First room is Louise, she is lovely, just thanks us and then offers us bikkies, which we refuse{ gotta think of the waistline. HAHA} Next is { have you guess correctly} RAY. conversation goes something like this. Hello Jocie, hi Ray- heres your tablets Ray, Thanks Jocie, thats ok Ray. Thanks for giving me my tablets Jocie, thats ok Ray, Thanks for giving me my glass of water Jocie, Thats ok Ray, you have some nice pictures on your wall. Yes I do Jocie, Thank you for liking my pictures Jocie. Thats ok Ray, have you finished taking your tablets. Yes Jocie, thank you Jocie. Goodnight Ray. Goodnight Jocie and Thank you Jocie. thats ok Ray. and now we walk out of her room. { You got the picture yet} go to all the other ressies, last one is Ellen. put her into her nightie and settle her into bed, turn the tv on for her and walk out of her room.
Back to the nurses station for some documenting and a coffee. Alls quiet until I here this weird noise, I thought it was one of the ressies who was coming home from and outing, but I was totally wrong. Here in the middle of the verandah in a short nightie and granny knickers is the one and only Ellen, "what are you doing Ellen?" I asked. "Looking for my clothes, can't you see. you bloody stupid or something!" she said. " I must be, cause I can't see your clothes anywhere here, come on let's go back to your room." I am treated like a bloody criminal" Ellen said. { I know how she feels} Finally get her back to her room, this time she hopped into bed.
Time to go home, only to get a phone call, I had to be back at work at 7.30 in the morning. I LOVE MY JOB I LOVE MY JOB.

No comments: