Sunday, February 15, 2009

You would think it was a full moon!!

For those of you who don't know, a few days before a full moon and sometimes after a full moon, the ressie start acting a bit different. Something to do with the build up of pressure in their head. You have ressies who don't normally behave different, doing some pretty weird stuff and then those that normally play up on you, being little angels. Usually it happens at a night time, but on Thursday things were a bit different.

I arrived at work at 7.30, Sue was already there, I should have guessed something was up when she came running and gave me a hug and said I have never been so pleased to see you.

The buzzer was going off like crazy, it was the emergency buzzer. We went racing up to Mrs I fold the napkins for the kitchen, sitting in her chair. We asked what was the matter, only to be told she was fine and guess what; She stated she didn't even press the buzzer. We believed her as she is very independent, doesn't cause any trouble. Get back the nurses station and the emergency buzzer goes off again. Same number. walked up this time. Mrs I fold the napkins sitting in the same spot, asked why were we back. We asked if she had pressed the buzzer, she said no but had a funny look on her face. I stayed outside her room while Sue went back, within five minutes the buzzer went again, should have seen the look on the old dears face when I walked straight in. She nearly had a heart attack. But she still reckons it was not her, even though she had her finger on the button.

This made us late for the breakfast meds.

Finally take the trolleys to the dining room to start the med round. All the ressies are there except for Mr and Mrs Oh I can talk underwater. They make this grand entrance into the dining room, like they are the king and queen. They sit down and then start comparing each others breakfast, just to see who got the biggest meal.

We have a ressie with bad dementia, will call her Pink Floyd, she is up and down from the table all during breaky. She comes up as asks " what should I be doing!" you tell her and then get her to sit down, turn your back and she is there again. Talk about a boomerang. Sit her in the lounge room after breaky and every time you walk past her she asks, " is it alright for me to sit here". We need a recording of our answers.

Psycho Chicken came up to talk to me about a rash she has on her stomach, you would have a rash too, if you had 6 layers of clothing on. When she was talking to me, another ressie came up behind her and tried to get past. Psycho noticed her standing behind her and in a very loud shrill yelled out, " I know I am not allowed to talk" Then Psycho started going up the corridor still yelling at the top of her voice. When she went past the nurses station Sue came out and asked her to be quiet, psycho kept yelling but she soon shut up when she saw her doctor in the doorway. Her doctor just shook his head and told her he wasn't there to see her, but he told her she must be fine if she could yell that loud. Pyscho went on her way, mumbling under her breath. At lunch she told me she got a fright and was in pain. I told her she had a funny way of telling us she was in pain. She doesn't need a full moon for her behaviour to go troppo, she is constantly troppo.

Next to buzz was Bernard, seeing Sue was busy with one of our very cute doctors I said I would go. Big mistake. Walk in the door, weird smell met me, I should have turn around and walked out, but the caring side of me, made me ask Bernard what was the matter. He was standing there with just a shirt on and shoes and socks. Just as well it was a long shirt. He said I think I have pooped myself, stupid me said where. Bernard said in the bathroom and its in the toilet. I had a look and turned to Bernard and said " did you get any poop in the toilet at all" He hadn't. Trying hard not to dry heave, I got the shower and scrubbed his bathroom. Poop must have good cleaning qualities, or at least Bernards has. I reckon some of those bathroom tiles came a lot cleaner. Not that I would recommend using poop as it doesn't leave a very good fresh smell to the room. Most of our ressies can't smell anyway.

Back to nurses station, only to be met by Nan, she reckons her hearing aid needs new batteries cuz she can't hear anything. Change the batteries and send her on her way. Finally do some paperwork for about half an hour. The nurses station bell rings, Nan is back. " My hearing aid batteries are flat again". Tell her that is impossible, check her hearing aid and guess what, no sound. Pull it apart, wriggle this and wriggle that, put it all back together again. Still not working. Check the on and off switch and Lo and behold, little darling has been fiddling with the switches. Get the settings right, warn Nan not to touch anything and send her on her way again.

Things were very quiet after that. Ressies left me alone for the rest of the day. Before I go, have your bowels opened today, If not try movicol. Just don't do this when I am around.

No comments: